Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New Toy

Over the weekend, I decided to pick up an Acer Aspire One which was on sale at Best Buy for $349 and enter the world of netbooks.  The One is a pretty peppy machine despite its small footprint, and it actually has more memory (1 gig vs 768 megs) and hard drive space (120 gigs vs 60 gigs) than my old 700m.  The Atom processor is definitely capable of regular desktop processing tasks, the screen resolution is very usable at 1024x600, and there is even a tiny little webcam built into the top bezel of the screen for web conferencing.  But what I was most impressed about this netbook was the keyboard, which actually is not too difficult to type on, but having small Asian hands help as well :P  If I had to complain about one thing, it's the fact that the fan inside the One has to spin constantly all the time, and it's definitely noticeable in a silent room, but I think I'll just phase out the noise after using it for a while.  The 700m will now go into the hands of M, who has been complaining to me about how huge her current laptop is to drag around.

No comments: