Thursday, September 16, 2004

Summer is almost over...

Man, it's hard to believe that summer just came and went just like that. And just right around the corner, classes will be starting up soon here at OSU next week on the 22nd. It's kind of funny looking back because I never thought that I would be pursuing a Ph.D. But I guess unexpected things in life creep up on you and send you on pathes you never thought you woud take. Although I sometimes wish I could be out in the job force working, I feel that this will be the best path for me to take, and hopefully in the long run it will be the most rewarding one as well ^_^



I was talking to my office Brian the other day, and he was telling me about how his family in Louisiana was prepping for Hurricane Ivan to head towards the shore. He said that the cities in Louisiana near the Gulf were actually under sea level, and the land is sort of shaped like a bowl with the cities sitting at the bottom of the bowl. Needless to say, if this was the case, one of the worst case scenarios for the cities of Louisiana was that they could be under 15-20 feet of water once Ivan passes by o_O Man, can you imagine that much water submering a city? It's almost unthinkable that something like that could happen, but apparently, this might be the case at Louisana. Hopefully, the citizens down there are prepared for whatever the hurricane will throw at them.



In tech news, it looks like Amazon will attempt to unseat Google as the online web searching champion as they release A9.com. While Google has been known for their simplicity, A9 takes that (FYI, A9 uses Google's search technology) and tries to add on some useful features such as a list of history of things you have searched for and access to various texts in books. However, it'll be a long road for Amazon if they really want to take down the giant Google gorilla.



I'll be going home tomorrow, so don't be shocked if you don't see me update in a while!

No comments: