Monday, August 23, 2004

Back in action!

Well, I never thought I would get back into this again, but here I am back once again into the blogging world after a year hiatus.



I had just come back from visit my good friend Allen up at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The trip up was pretty rough at first due to the fast passing thunderstorms that dropped marble-sized raindrops. The visibility was so bad that cars that traffic slowed to around 35-40 mph. I didn't see any accidents along the way, so traffic was at least moving through the strorm. The trip itself going up was a bit shorter than I though, around 2.5 hours or so when I though it would probably take like 4 hours.



Once I got up to Ann Arbor, the hard-falling rain had cleared out but it still continued to drizzle a bit. As I followed through the Mapquest directions, I noticed that Allen's apartment was very close to the medical center, which I found kinda funny since I also lived pretty close to the medical center at Ohio State. One thing about Mapquest directions: although Mapquest seems to route the shorest track possible, it sure doesn't map the most convenient one. I later found that I could have just followed this one road all the way to Allen's apartment instead of taking 3 or 4 turns like Mapquest suggested.



Usually, whenever I'm scheduled to go somewhere, I usually get there much earlier than what the scheduled time is, but I was a bit worried that I might have gotten to Allen's place too early. He had said it was ok to get to his place around 6 pm, but I somehow ended up getting there around 3 pm o_O Luckily though, after a quick phone call I was able to find Allen just waiting at his apartment. Although I had seen Allen back in March when he and a couple of other friends came down to visit me and go to Cedar Point, it had felt like a while since I seen him. But Allen was still the Allen I remembered, so it was cool to be able to pick up our friendship where we left off, talking about games, anime, and other random stuff that ever came to mind.



Saturday was a great day weatherwise in Ann Arbor. The sun was out, the humidity was down, and the temperature was just right, not too hot or cold. Since Allen didn't have access to a car, we went out and did some grocery shopping. We hit up Meijer's Grocery, Sams Club, Target, and the Home Depot. Now you might ask why of all places were we at the Home Depot? Well, we were searching for a toilet plunger after I nearly caused the toilet to overflow at Allen's apartment. Luckily, the toilet management skills I acquired from living back at Valentine Place came to good use as quickly turned off the water flowing to the toilet :P I felt really bad after it happened, but Allen said that this wasn't the first time this had happened, so I felt a bit better afterwards. However, things almost got worse as Allen called up the front office requesting for maintenance, only to find that maintenance had left for the day, and we might have to live with this clogged toilet for a day or so! However, a maintenance guy came by almost 10 minutes after Allen place the call, and the toilet was promptly taken care of, leaving Allen and me in relief as we wouldn't have to resort to going to the engineering building to use the bathroom!



When Sunday finally rolled by, I left Allen's place around 2:30 pm. Driving back, I wanted to see if I could find a route faster than the one Mapquest created by taking major highways and interstates. However, this proved to be a futile goal as I found myself taking a hour more to travel back :P One good thing though came out of this as I was able to drive through some rather beautiful roads through some vast farmlands with cornfields as far as the eye could see. Oh, and did you know that there was a city called Flag City?



All and all, it was a fun trip to end the week with :)