Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Sound of bounce my way now!

It has been a while since I've played some team basketball. While I was at home, I went to the gym at my mom's community college to shoot around for a bit to regain the shooting touch, but there was never anybody around to play a team game with. Luckily, when I was back at the lab, I asked around with some of my Turkish friends if they were still playing bball, and they said they were usually playing on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I decided to go hit the court with them tonight.



We all met up around 9 pm at Jesse Owens South, an on-campus recreation center that has gym equipment, all the stairsteppers and cycling machinary you could ever want, and 2 indoor bball courts. The nice thing about this particular rec center is that I only have to walk about a block to get to it since my dorm apartment is almost right next to it, so no driving necessary ^_^ Anyways, about 6 of us showed up at the courts, so we got some 3 on 3 games going on a half court. Believe it or not, I probably was the shortest and lightest person on the court, and I promptly got stuffed pretty badly while trying to drive to the basket. However, since I now have contacts, no more worries of destroying my glasses while driving to the basket! ^_^ My outside shooting was kind of off tonight from the 12 to 15 feet range, but I pulled off my best Reggie Miller impression at the 3 point line as I brought my team back from 11-9 to take lead at 13-11 with two consecutive 3 point baskets (3 point shots counted as 2 points in our game), and we won that game 15-13 ^_^ But I was pretty beat after the first game, so I kinda slowed down in the next 3 games and got lazy on defense, which allowed Koray, one of the guys from Turkey, to drive around me and get some easy layups -_- I still did some damage beyond the 3 point line, going like 7 for 13 beyond the arc, but my team lost 2 of the next three games. Ah wells, it was still fun to get out and play some ball and get my Asian butt out for some exercise ^_^ The new sneakers I got held up pretty well too, and no turned ankles to report! :P

No comments: