Monday, August 23, 2004

New Stuff!

Although I might be getting older, it's still always cool to get new stuff to use and play with, and today was definately a day of new stuff. I had an eye exam two weeks ago to check up on my vision, and I also wanted to get some contact lenses since my glasses have taken quite a beating when I played sports. The legs were bent outwards and the nose pads were spead far enough that they didn't grip my nose that well anymore, and if I turned my head quickly, my glasses would likely fly off my face. I had thought it was a lost cause to fix up my glasses, but forunately, during the intermission period of my eye exam when they put those drops in your eyes to dilate them, the women who was responsible for fitting and selling glasses fixed and tightened up my frames, and they feel new again! Anyways, 2 weeks go by, and today I go to get my new contacts. Since I have astigmatism, the optomotrist had to fit me with some custom contact lenses called toric lenses, which are weighted so that they orient to your eye in a particular way and won't move as much as you blink or look around. Well, whatever they do, the lenses worked surpisingly well, and I'm able to see details again that my blind vision use to filter away :-P One other thing I noticed is that everything also looks BIGGER looking through contacts then through glasses, which was kind of weird at first, but I slowly got use to it. Apparently I need to rebuild my tolerance back up for contacts, so I only wore them for about 6 hours today, and I can add 2 hours every day from now on till I can basically wear them all day. But so far, they're working well ^_^



Another new thing for today was the new office I now have at the ESL lab. Although I didn't have too many problems with my old office, it was kind of dusty and messy and uncosy sitting in a room surrounded by yellow-colored cinder blocks and no windows to look outside. Well, that has all changed as I'm now officed in a more spacioius room with new desks and lamps, cubical dividers, AC, and a window to look outside too! ^_^ One strange thing I noticed though was that the door to my office seemed to be sawed in half but held together with makeshift bolts and duck tape, and this is a metal door we're talking about o_O! But other than that, I like my new office :-P



The last new item of the day was some new Nike cross trainers. My old running shoes were begging to be retired as the treads have long been worn off and the left shoe has a hole large enough for my big toe to poke out of, so it was time for a new pair. I went to Famous Footwear to check around the selection, and walked out with these Nikes. For me, spending more than $50 on shoes is a bit much, and these were on sale for $39 from $60, so just in my price range ^_^ I'll give these guys a test run when I go play some bball tomorrow night.



I like new stuff ^_^

No comments: