Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Introducing the Apple iPhone


In MacWorld today, Steve Jobs showed the world Apple's first phone, fittingly named the iPhone. The name is simple but it's a bit misleading since not only is this a quad-band cellular phone, but it's also a PDA and iPod all rolled into a thin package. The device itself runs OS X, and the most prominent feature is its 3.5 inch touchscreen, which provides all the interaction to the user with touchscreen buttons and gestures. Cingular will be the voice and data carrier.

All this looks pretty cool to me, but I don't think I'm willing just yet to pony up $499 for a 4GB PDA (or $599 for an 8 GB version) just yet, and I'll wait and see if Apple can deliver on their reported battery life numbers. However, I do want to play with one at the Apple store, but it looks like it'll have to wait till June before Apple starts shipping. Hopefully, Apple has learned from their mistakes with the Newton in creating this device. In the meantime, I'll stick with my simple K1.

No comments: